Thursday, March 22, 2012

A breakfast crumble with a secret ingredient...




I can't seem to stay away from breakfast recipes at the moment, but this one has to be my favourite yet! It tastes so good that I'd even go as far to say I'd have it as a dessert. In fact, if I had to live on only this for the rest of my life I'd be quite happy with that. But what is it I hear you ask? Well, I'm going to call it a sweet potato breakfast crumble. And yes I did just say sweet potato. For breakfast. Now this may sound a little strange, but please, give it a chance, because it really does taste incredible! Just look at it...my mouth's watering just thinking about it!



Bascially, I had some leftover sweet potato and I've always wondered what it would be like in a sweet recipe. Usually, I just bung it in a Thai curry or roast it with various other veg for dinner, but I wanted to try something a little different. When I came across this recipe I just had to give it a go! Now I am a massive fan of crumbles (served with copious amounts of custard, of course!), so seeing this recipe made me quite excited! And oh my gosh was I happy with the result! I made it the night before (but didn't put the topping on til the morning), so all I had to do was put it in the oven when I woke up. And what a wonderful start to the morning it was. The filling was deliciously sweet and creamy with a beautiful cinnamon flavour, whilst the topping had the perfect crunchy bite to it. Have it straight from the oven and you will understand what I mean when I say I could eat it forever! Full of fruit (definitely at least one of your five-a-day) and nourishing enough to last you til lunchtime (it kept me going through a good 30 minutes of swimming!), this certainly is a breakfast worth waking up for! 



Sweet Potato Breakfast Crumble    makes 3 servings

Ingredients:
Filling:
1/2 Cup Porridge Oats
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk 
1/2 Cup Milk (plus extra if needed)
1 Small Sweet Potato
1 Large Ripe Banana
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Runny Honey
4 tbsp Raisins
Topping:
1/3 Cup Chopped Walnuts
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Plain Flour
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

Method: 
  1.  Peel and chop the sweet potato and boil for about 5 minutes until tender.
  2. Drain and set aside.
  3. Put the oats and milk into a pan.
  4. Whisk and bring to the boil.
  5. Turn down the heat and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly. If it gets too dry, you may need to add more milk.
  6. Add the sweet potato and banana to the porridge and mash until there are just some larger chunks.
  7. Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon and honey and cook for a few more minutes.
  8. To make the topping mix all the ingredients together with a fork until they are combined.
  9. Put the porridge mixture in a large ovenproof dish and spread out evenly.
  10. Sprinkle the raisins on top.
  11. Put the topping on and cook for about 20 minutes, until the topping is golden.
  12. Remove from the oven and enjoy!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment